Wednesday 17 March 2010

Care of Earth

Embarrasing as it may be to admit this, I am more singularly focused on this permaculture principle more then any other. It should not consume me like it does, I should spread myself thinner making sure i am doing all I can about Care of People and ensuring a Fair Share too.

Problem is, fewer and fewer of us are caring for our Earth as evidenced by this recent article by George Monbiot.

"The names alone should cause anyone whose heart still beats to stop and look again. Blotched woodwax. Pashford pot beetle. Scarce black arches. Mallow skipper. Marsh dagger. Each is a locket in which hundreds of years of history and thousands of years of evolution have been packed. Here nature and culture intersect. All are species that have recently become extinct in England."

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2010/03/15/the-naming-of-things

The key point made in this article I would like to emphasise... if we, the pampered twenty percent, who, in large numbers, support environmental causes cannot prevent the extinction of 2 species per year in the UK alone, then what hope do we have for a bountiful, rich and diverse future?

No comments:

Post a Comment